Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Inspiration from Immigrant Food

I won't be able to write this week, I told my editor (in my head).

I will be cooking. And eating it. And drinking wine (because it will be French food) and enjoying my eating partner husband.

So no writing this week.

Yet, here we are. Two articles all tucked in to the editors' emails. One article tugs on my clothes (hate that!) and whines for another paragraph. Another screams for 2-3 paragraphs or 200 words or else!

And the memoir is crying by itself in a corner from neglect.

But I'm hungry and tired. And homesickish.

I went back to France and her delectable cuisine for two hours last Friday. The fastest way to travel, it seems, is through a great film.

 

The Hundred-Foot Journey, starring Helen Mirren, took me right back to all my favorite French kitchens and restaurants. All the savors of French and Indian food washed over me. In my mind and to my taste, it is one of those rare, perfect films.
 
Also both my husband and I have been immigrants in the other's country and feel deeply the love extended or denied us. Open yourself to a new flavor. I promise it will make your life richer. Take a classic, 200-year old recipe and add something, because "200 years is long enough." And remember, I don't ask for a discount because I am poor, but because I am thrifty!

Now I must go eat French cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget