Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Inspiration from room for everyone

Most of us have probably heard this phrase during a church Christmas play or in a Christmas story: "there was no room for them in the inn." (yes, this is Christmas story. I'm just that far in advance.)

I think we tend to think that way sometimes. Sorry, nothin' I can do. There's no room here. Not enough money to do that too. We're already stretched thin. Doin' what we can.

What if the innkeeper had offered his house, room or bed to Mary, Joseph and the infant Jesus? I understand prophecies needed to be fulfilled, signs to be followed and found, which stipulated the Baby be found in a stable. But what if someone could have done offered better than the shed and didn't?

This last Christmas was crazy. Cert. i. fi. able. But the requests just kept coming and no one was turned away.

First, there's us. Young married couple with two small children, recently moved back from Europe and trying to get our feet under us. A royal welcome mat was extended for us in front of a beautiful garage apartment.

Second, my college student sister decided to not renew her lease with her roommate and asked to move home. A carload of clothes and Africa memorabilia arrived just before Christmas.

Then, my 18 year-old cousin from a blended family came to hang with us while his parents were out of town. His sister and her fiancé came by for a while too. My aunt and uncle from Virginia were able to drive out to spend Christmas with us.

People weren't the only creatures welcome, either. My aunt brought her sweet dog, Mocha. My parents dog-sat a giant, ferociously lovable, German Shepherd for some friends. And we brought our cat from France. My parents' two Yellow Labs were outside with the two horses.

On Christmas Day, we added three little cousins, another aunt and uncle, a grown cousin and her family, a grandma, my sister and her family, as well as my 7 younger siblings who still live at home.

Yup, it was crazy. Especially when some people got the flu and others a fever.

But this is how I want to live. With a heart that is always ready to welcome someone, always ready to give a little. This will be a main theme in the memoir I've started working on for a lady named Dorothy Perez. More on that very soon...

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a huge family gathering. You've got a big heart and people usually like to congregate where the atmosphere is friendly. Interesting that you working on a memoir? As a ghost writer or as a co-writer?

    I grew up in the south, but the habits of always welcoming others to the table is ingrained. We can always fit one more in. . .Hope your day is a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and commenting! I was raised in a hospitable home - we always have someone around! On the memoir, we are still figuring out what Dorothy wants. She has pieces she wrote for her club at the senior center, articles written about them, things her late husband wrote...I'm reading through it all making notes to see how I'll outline. I think it's a great story (foster parents for 45 years to 96 children, most minorities or with special needs). I'd like to query it around, but Dorothy kind of just wants it for her family. I'll be posting updates.

      Delete
  2. Awesome. We met some people recently who basically live life according to their dreams. It's strange and unconventional and befuddling how they make it all work sometimes, but I have to applaud them. Drawing outside the lines should be a sport. Not all of us are that type of athlete, but we sure appreciate those who are, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I think we each have our story - trying to live like someone else is might not work, but we should be living up to our potential for love, service and general wonderfulness. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have the gifts of encouragement and hospitality. We need more people like you in the world.

    I think of the verses , Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

    Wow! I wonder if the innkeeper blew it on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and verse! Hospitality is one of my parents' key words and raised us that way. I hope the innkeeper fulfilled the role he was supposed to, and was blessed as he learned it was Jesus born in his stable. Such a lesson for us.

      Delete
  4. To know that there is room enough for all is very pleasant knowledge indeed. :-)

    Greetings from Minneapolis!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and commenting. The more the crazier! Join on in!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like some chaotic times, but memorable ones! My husband's family is very big. Every July and end of December, there are 50-60 of us together for an entire weekend. Crazy but fun. Yes, we all sleep (or try to) at my inlaws vacation home (luckily, lots of room there!).

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget