Saturday, September 14, 2013

Inspiration from the Pursuit of Happiness

You know that unsettling feeling that you ought to be something you're not, or you're not what you were going to be, or somehow you got sidetracked from where you were going...in short, you're just not happy with right now?

I've started doing some freelance journalism and it's great. I'm learning and writing and being paid. There's just this niggling feeling that I'm not blogging as much, that I haven't touched my work in progress, that I haven't done my summer novella project at all.

I read this great post from Notes from the Slushpile about the pursuit of happiness. Candy Gourlay, talks about how she was happier before she was published because she had hope and less worries.  Now her second book is out and she thinks about the joy of being happy where you are. She quotes Dan Gilbert, "The lesson I want to leave you with from this data is that our longings and our worries are both to some degree overblown, because we have within us the capacity to manufacture the very commodity we are constantly chasing when we choose experience."

It's really a great post, and should be read in its entirety, so go and read it. Tell me what you think about your happiness level, past and present!
The lesson I want to leave you with from these data is that our longings and our worries are both to some degree overblown, because we have within us the capacity to manufacture the very commodity we are constantly chasing when we choose experience. - See more at: http://www.notesfromtheslushpile.com/2013/09/the-pursuit-of-happiness.html?showComment=1378833493509#c414968804674942001
The lesson I want to leave you with from these data is that our longings and our worries are both to some degree overblown, because we have within us the capacity to manufacture the very commodity we are constantly chasing when we choose experience. - See more at: http://www.notesfromtheslushpile.com/2013/09/the-pursuit-of-happiness.html?showComment=1378833493509#c414968804674942001
The lesson I want to leave you with from these data is that our longings and our worries are both to some degree overblown, because we have within us the capacity to manufacture the very commodity we are constantly chasing when we choose experience. - See more at: http://www.notesfromtheslushpile.com/2013/09/the-pursuit-of-happiness.html?showComment=1378833493509#c414968804674942001
The lesson I want to leave you with from these data is that our longings and our worries are both to some degree overblown, because we have within us the capacity to manufacture the very commodity we are constantly chasing when we choose experience. - See more at: http://www.notesfromtheslushpile.com/2013/09/the-pursuit-of-happiness.html?showComment=1378833493509#c414968804674942001
Candy Gourlay
Candy Gourlay

1 comment:

  1. Some food for thought...
    I'm more conscious and critical of my writing now, than when I first started out... not always a good thing...

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget