Saturday, April 27, 2013

Inspiration from That Special X Factor

This month I'm participating in the Blogging A to Z April Challenge. My theme is Things That Inspire Me.

Ok, I admit that I had to be inventive to come up with this subject for this letter. So stay with me. If you like, you may quote the Dread Pirate Roberts and say, "Truly, you have a dizzying intellect."

There's a film from the 1950's with Lauren Bacall and June Allyson, called Woman's World. It's charming as all get out, about three men and their wives competing for a corporate position. During it, one of the men talks about that special something that sets people apart, which he called the X factor. You're not sure why or what it is, but you know when someone's got it.

That X factor of something extra special is what I see in French photographer Jeoffrey Guillemard's photos of Central America. I love the focus of black and whites, the detail and emotion that he highlights. How often do we pass by things without looking AT them? I find art that makes me pause highly inspirational.

I met Jeoff during an evening at his brother's. He told me the story behind my favorite photograph, which taken in Cuba. He was posed for a photo of an old wall with the faces of three men painted on it. I believe it was a political ad. Just then, an old 1950s car passed in front of him. He clicked. You see three-quarters of the car, the shadows of three men inside, the three faces on the wall behind and, through the window, three more tiny faces on the wall. The rule of three reigns in a captured, unplanned moment. 

It's that unknown special something. One could say, "what is it a photo of?" Um, well, part of a car and a wall, with like this graffiti, and it's, well, cool and there's these buildings in the background...

Jeoff graciously allowed me to post it so ya'll can enjoy "Los 3 hermanos" from Cuba in October 2010.

There's a series of photos he did at a wedding that are brilliant as well - full of those quiet moments held motionless in art. He has other galleries in color on a wide variety of subjects, frequently political or social. His photos on Jingoo are here. You can find him on Facebook here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing his artwork. I'm going to check him out. There is so much I missed when I looked at the photo before reading the post.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget