Friday, April 19, 2013

Inspiration from Quintessential

This month, I'm participating in the Blogging A to Z April Challenge. My theme is Things That Inspire Me.

Since I managed to schedule most of this A to Z challenge post, this is actually the last one I wrote.  As I though about Q, I had lots of thoughts, but not a lot of inspiration. Q is the letter that starts my married name. My husband's "bague chevaliere" knight's ring has his initals, VQ which sounds like the French word for "lived:" "vĂ©cu". As I played a bit of Scrabble for one, I found words that started wth Q.

Finally, I thought about one of my favorite words, quintessential. It's such a great word to replace a phrase when you want to say the essence of something is represented, the truest, most classic example of something. (That's my definition - not word for word Websters ;)

As I'm writing, I like to think of the essence of my characters. What really defines them? This leads lots of people studies. If I could give each person a quintessential word, what would it be? For my sister, it might be "honeybee." For my mother-in-law, "better," for my neighbor, "green." As vague as those are, it shows what they mean to me (all in a positive sense, I might add!)

What word would describe your friends and family, or the characters in your writing? What is your favorite word?  


1 comment:

  1. I wonder what word you would give me :P

    Bhavya fellow participant at the AtoZ Challenge blogging at Just Another Blog

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget