Saturday, April 6, 2013

Inspiration from Feminist Housewives

This month, I'm participating in the Blogging A to Z April Challenge. My theme is Things That Inspire Me.

I subscribe to Jim Daly's blog from Focus on The Family and his recent post had a funky title; Have You Heard About Feminist Housewives?  It caught my attention, because it's how I could describe myself. His post was, in fact, quoting this article from the London Daily Mail, "Rise of the happy housewife: How a new wave of feminists are giving up their careers to stay at home because they WANT to."

Both these articles were inspiring to me, as frequently I feel that society doesn't quite approve of me being a stay-at-homer. There's a slant of laziness, a shadow of anti-feminism, as if I'm going against my grandmother's generation. Yet, as said in the Daily article, why can't we just be women? Why do we have to be a man and a woman at the same time? The article also talks about why these women feel they are better adapted to be at home than men.


Here's a quote that I appreciated:  "Mrs Makino is now able to be present for her children no matter what - cooking healthy meals, helping patiently with homework, and most importantly, devoting herself to teaching them life lessons, from manners to good habits, that she believes every child should know."

For myself, I can say some very contrary things on this subject. On one hand, I love being at home and not being torn in two by having another job to do. On the other hand, I find it important to still have my activities, such as this blog and writing projects or time for sports. Also, I think women at home need networking and support, which I don't really have where we live now. As an extrovert, I need to balance out. In the near future, I might work part-time, or give private language lessons and such.

I think what is needed is to be able to drop it all, blog less, accept fewer projects or take less students, when the house and little ones need it (I'm typing this while the one year-old screams, ironically).  When my children are older, I look forward to a new stage of my life and the freedoms and responsibilities it will bring.

This all makes me think of the suffragette mother in Mary Poppins. Why was it never a solution for the mother to watch her children, when no nanny suited for the position could be found? Could the answer have been that she indeed was the best suited?Yet, I appreciate the role she represents in working towards votes for women and I vote proudly.

What do you think of feminist homemakers? Do you find it inspirational or appalling?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's funny that people need to label every choice as some kind of group :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget