Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Inspiration from Being Uncomfortable

This month I'm participating in the Blogging A to Z April Challenge. My theme is Things That Inspire Me.

While staying at my parents-in-laws' house, I saw a book by a familiar author, Paulo Coehlo. I didn't recognize the title, The Witch of Portobello, but since I enjoyed the Alchemist by him and the title intrigued me, I asked to borrow it. Besides, it was in French so it kind of counted as delicious fiction homework.

I'll say right out that I didn't particularly like the book. It was too New Age-y for me, I didn't care for the ending or many of the ideas put forth. And it was really long for not much story, in my opinion.

So why is it in Things That Inspire Me? Because it did indeed inspire me. The main character, Athena, searches for meaning throughout her life, finding many mentors and many methods. What I brought away from it, is that when we do uncomfortable things, things out of our zone, that's when change and growth are possible. It is when we are out of our element, that we can connect with a part of ourselves that we didn't know we had.

Now I being sweaty, or uncomfortable or looking like an idiot. That's why I watched my big sister so carefully to see how she did stuff (thanks sis!) I don't generally put myself in a situation I can't handle. Realizing how fulfilling it can be, how good it can feel, is a new idea for me. I'm testing it, however.

Have you recently done something that tested you, that put you outside your comfort zone?

2 comments:

  1. this was actually the message at Church on Sunday and it really made me wonder and think of ways to push myself to step outside that box!

    http://m5carolin.blogspot.com/2013/04/up-north.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Being uncomfortable challenges us and makes us grow. It is not pleasant but is necessary.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget