Thursday, November 1, 2012

Inspiration from Malcom in the Middle

I grew up in a rowdy family. Basically, we are the girls version of Malcom in the Middle. (Disclaimer: I'm not saying that my mom is a dragon-lady disciplinarian at her wit's end to make us behave. *she sometimes read this* In my book, both Lois and my mom are amazing ladies and I'd be proud to be a mean mom like them.  ;)

My siblings and I had our dark secrets and gruesome stories. The famous ladle-chase, which may or may not have been the cause of the dent on the bedroom door. There was the banana-bath on French braids. The time I tried fake vomit on a babysitter to get out of chores (she saw through it, and then ratted me out!). The Friday Night Savings Time, where the clocks mysteriously went from 5pm to 7pm and then up! it was time for the younger kids to go to bed (worked best in the winter when it was dark outside).  

My hubby and I have been watching Malcom in the Middle. We used to watch it as sisters, and it makes me laugh as much now as then. Though now I find I take the mom's side more. I think about how a child's placement in a family has a role in their development. I wonder what my toddlers will one day "do to" me. It makes me think about my characters and how they fit into their families. This is especially for middle-grade stories, where they are trying to figure out how they fit. So thanks Francis, Reese Malcom, Dewey and Jamie for the research! Life is unfair. 

 

1 comment:

  1. ...in its hayday, Malcolm was truly an inspiring family comedy. The constant narration allowed us, the audience, a chance at experiencing the boy's thoughts as he meandered in dysfunction on a weekly basis. And we laughed at his antics ;)

    El

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget