Saturday, November 24, 2012

Inspiration from Life

Our autumn days here are full of change; it rains and is chilly, then is sunny and warm. As always, I'm inspired by life. This time it says to focus more in actual rather than virtual things. So I will be posting only on Saturdays for a while, with an odd weekday post if something seizes me. I hope this will also allow me more time to visit others blogs, which I've been neglecting.

This decision reflects some contemplation on my writing in general. The work in progress is forever in progress, forever under revision, many tweaks away from seeing an agent's or editor's smiling countenance. I've been trying to write more nonfiction and to sell more. Trying to study AP style with dreams of journal-ism-istic something or other. Feeling a bit dismal.

Yesterday I was thinking about the film, "Marley and Me." I thought how I'd love to do a column, how someday I'll get a dog, etc. Then I realized. I'm not award-winning journalist, columnist and memoir-writer, John Grogan (the film is based off his story). For right now, I'm his wife, who was also a journalist.

I pictured the scene in the movie where she says that she's not doing a good job at work or at home, so she wants to stay with their small children. I believe it's in later scene that she just got the babies to sleep and the dog wakes them up and everyone is screaming and she's just had it and just explodes. Later she apologizes and says that she's just so tired. I think I'm that kind of writer right now.

I applaud everyone who is working eight hours, doing kits and homework and soccer, dinner and laundry, then keeping up their word count for NaNoWriMo while they blog + 100 comments. You are rock stars. I will buy your books :-)

All that to say, I'm taking the pressure off of being a successful writer, going to blog once a week and write for the pleasure of puttering around in dystopian France with my character friends.

Have you taken a writing sabbatical? Or gotten more serious about it? What are your methods for being a productive and sane writer? Does your writing dream ever just frustrate the crap out of you?

3 comments:

  1. I'd love you to visit my blogs on occasion (links below). And I'd read a novel set in a dystopian France. (how far in the future?)

    It's hard to write when other responsibilities intrude. At the least, I try to go with Joseph Bell's advice to write a minimum of 350 words a day, but go for 500 at least if you can. I also jump around from one novel to another or to different chapters if one isn't working.

    Take time off, but keep a small notebook handy in case you get ideas that you can focus on at another time. Those bits will add up.
    (links:
    http://dghudson-rainwriting.blogspot.ca/
    http://dghudson.blogspot.ca/
    I'll look forward to your weekly posts. Good Luck!




    ReplyDelete
  2. Traipsing around with your characters sounds like great fun! I'll be back for your weekly posts, and when you're not around, hope you have happy writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, I'm stopping by to say thanks for signing up for the 'Cheers, Cavanaugh Blogfest!' I'm so stoked you're participating... it's going to ROCK... :-)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget