Thursday, November 8, 2012

Inspiration from Gorges and Chocolate

I'm a mountain person. A ratty pair of jeans, a pine walking stick that gets more whittled and rubbed to perfection each day, a walk at sunset, a green-blue lake...I can't get enough.

The mountains of Provence made me think of my summers in Wyoming as an adolescent. The Provençal hills are rocky, yet tree-covered, the air has the pine-scented spirit of vacation, the nestled villages have terra cotta roofs.For once, it was exactly, exactly as I imagined.

We spent a morning skipping stones at the lake of Sainte-Croix, with a picnic on its pebbly shore. The water was just a little greener than the azure sky. It was warmer than we'd imagined, so our 3 year-old got to splash in his undies.

Dark clouds were replacing the fluffy white ones as we drove a little further, toward the Gorges of Verdon. The hills became mountains. I kept the camera out as I thought of the yellow and grey rocks of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. Then, on the tiny-twisty-turny road, the three year-old threw up. We got everything cleaned up, more or less.

The little ones fell asleep as rain pattered. We decided we wouldn't be stopping to hike around the cliffs. We passed rocky "bergeries," sheep folds, signs that promised medieval villages and historic churches and castles. I itched to stop and see them all. One glance at the peaceful backseat strengthened by resolve to "look but not touch."

After a couple hours, we needed a bathroom/nursey break, however. "Let's not just pull-off somewhere. Let's do it right," I said. That means, 'find me a café that sells hot chocolate.' My sweet hubby translated what I meant and found a roadside inn in the shadow of the cliffside village, Trigance.

We grabbed up blankeys and children. The tiny room was cozy and seemed full of wood trim, tables and chairs. We settled in  next to a couple in biking shorts speaking German. Apparently, she had needed a coffee break too.

It might not seem like much, but that small stop was important. Instead of being whining about the rain, not being able to hike, being limited be two small children, hours of driving, it became sweet and memorable. A hot chocolate, with a sludgy bottom of real dark chocolate for me, cinnamon Speculoos cookies for the little guy, a nursing cuddle for the baby and a couple espressos for the French daddy...and we were happy. Sometimes, just an attitude choice and a little café stop can make the all the difference, but is that what I always choose? Um, no. But I think I'm getting better at it, becoming more...French, if you know what I mean ;)

This subject leads to another story, at Manosque, where that choice wasn't so easy...coming soon!
Lac Sainte-Croix


Gorges de Verdon

Provençal bergerie

Medieval village of Trigance

8 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful evocation of a trip. Makes me want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally think giving and traveling are the best use of our money!

      Delete
  2. How absolutely gorgeous! After driving 1400 mines in two days to move my daughter from Ohio to San Antonio, I almost kissed the guy in Starbucks. With just one more hour to go,the coffee gave me the oomph to go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your daughter appreciated the help and company, maybe more than you know. My family are big Starbucks people - dad says he'll work there when he retires (because new work is the definition of retirement, right ;)

      Delete
  3. Lovely! This post makes me think I need to make time to do another hiking trip. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you like to hike? Are you an afternoon hiker or more like a week in the wilderness hiker?

      Delete
  4. i miss hiking! used to take my lab all the time in Georgia, pre kids. now we have too much on our calendar! thanks for the pretty scenes! brought back memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful moment. :)

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget