Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Inspiration from Provence

There's no inspiration like the fresh wind that comes from traveling. Somebody famous probably has a really good quote on that. I think there's a Mark Twain one...ok, I looked it up and here's three ;)

...nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.
- Letter to San Francisco Alta California, dated May 18th, 1867; published June 23, 1867


It liberates the vandal to travel--you never saw a bigoted, opinionated, stubborn, narrow-minded, self-conceited, almighty mean man in your life but he had stuck in one place since he was born and thought God made the world and dyspepsia and bile for his especial comfort and satisfaction.
- The American Abroad speech, 1868


The gentle reader will never, never know what a consummate ass he can become until he goes abroad. I speak now, of course, in the supposition that the gentle reader has not been abroad, and therefore is not already a consummate ass. If the case be otherwise, I beg his pardon and extend to him the cordial hand of fellowship and call him brother.
- Innocents Abroad  


I speak of travel, because I've just returned from our first vacation with my marvelous little family (merci, sweet hubby!). I've got all kinds of funny stories to share (do rats and pizza mix?) but for today, I'll just show a few inspiring photos of the south east of France, Provence, where we spent a delightful week. Enjoy!

Bakery in the village of Valensole - I'm lovin' it!

Proven├žal house - I must have these shutters!

Mountains of the park of Verdon behind the village of Valensole

Proven├žal churches have these metal bell towers...we stayed right beside this one. It charmingly rings the hours and half hours...all through the night too - in case you get up with the baby and want to know the time, of course!

Valensole - that's the church on top

Olive trees...ahhh...

3 comments:

  1. Travel can open the mind if we're open to the places we travel and learn about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what visions your writing will have. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I liked those photos of Provence, since I've never been there. I love the way you got the unusual - the lime green shutters (to me that says creative thinking by the house owner OR the paint was on sale). It sure brightens the building, though.

    Bakeries are easy to love from my POV. Please do share your travel stories with us. It's our secondhand chance to learn about a different area of France.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget