Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Inspiration from Odors

(This inspired from our trip to Provence in the south of France. The pictures are at the end so you have to read and picture things first. Blogger won't actually let me upload smrlls, so you'll have to imagine those too ;)

I closed my eyes, turning toward the morning sun like a Kansas sunflower. The sunshine warmed the bunches of lavender tied to the doors, amplifying the fragrance of the Proven├žal village.

I hoisted the baby on my hip, breathing deeply through my nose. I tried to identify every odor; pine, herbs and fruit. I pictured rosemary, laurel, the plum and quince trees we had passed and the silver-leafed olives on the hill. I was sure even a pinch of the reddish dirt would be a pinch of nutmeg.

I spread out the picnic, thinking how much I love French markets. There was fresh crackling bread, smooth sheep cheese with a hint of mowed grass, sun-dried tomato spread and crushed green olives. Crunchy green grapes, with their seeds proof of their authenticity, and giant sweet pears made dessert. Each flavor harmonizing with the odors of the region; this must be why eating local food is such a pleasure.






8 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I love the smell of lavender. Loved seeing the photos, especially the picnic spread. It's on my travel list.

    Makes me want a crunchy baguette. Developed a taste for them while in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make a daily bakery run like a lot of people...but it's yummy!

      Delete
  2. I remember being in France; and what I remember most is the smell of baked bread.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our village, I get half-wheat half-rye bread that they call "the Cyrano" because we are close to Bergerac and the famed long-nosed gent ;)

      Delete
  3. That looks like it smelled wonderful! I love getting inspiration from things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say our olfactory memories are the strongest - it's good practice for me to try writing it down!

      Delete
  4. Ooo, this is so great. You brought me back to France for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday we'll have scratch and sniff screens ;)

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget