Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Inspiration from the WHAT IF Fairytale Blogfest

Today I'm joining in a blogfest hosted by Morgan, Leigh, Mark, and Cassie Mae:
WHAT IF? Fairytale Madness BlogFest!  
AUGUST 13th – 17th          
Have you noticed that by changing one detail; one event, one character trait, one thought...you can completely alter the rest of the story? For this bloghop we are exploring "What If?" To enter, you take your favorite "well known" fairytale and ask "What If…!" Then, write a maximum of 300 words of flash fiction in one of these four categories. (See the hosts' blogs for more details and the linky list of partcipants!)
 ·       Best Plot Twist,  Best Love Story,  Best Tragedy,  Best Comic Relief
I picked Team Love Story, which oddly enough made my romantic Frenchman husband...laugh. I'm pretty sure he meant that I'm better at real life rather than fictional romance. Oh la la la. 
This is 'write' at 299 words. What if Sleeping Beauty conquered the dragon...

Visions Are Seldom All They Seem

“Aurora!” he roars. He's panting, his curls dark with sweat. “You couldn't wait in the tower? You had to come take over?”

Should've let him fall in the precipice. “It's stupid to die fighting a hologram dragon so I disabled this console. If you really knew me, you'd know I'm no sleeping beauty. You'd value my contribution. I'm going use Maleficent's teleporter now.”

“You're on a new problem? You never finish what you start. Our children will pay now.”

I grit my teeth. “Children? In your dreams.”

He relaxes. “Once upon a dream...” he hums, kissing behind my ear. “It's ok...”

But I'm thinking. “Wait! We can defeat her. It wasn't me in the tower. Each victory unlocks the next challenge.” I kneel beside the console, connecting to the mainframe program. A gorgeous sleeping hologram appears. Phillip stumbles. “Kiss her.”

He does; the image is replaced by a real girl, a princessy version of me. “Darling!” she coos. He melts. They kiss again.

Maleficent teleports beside me and Phillip shields his fair maiden.

“Enough heroics,” Maleficent rolls her eyes. “You're free. I'll play my part and leave you be.” She throws back her ebony-horned head. “Don't forget to invite me to your child's christening.”

They gallop off, happily ever after. I rub my forehead, exhausted.

“You're heartbroken,” Maleficent drips sarcasm.

“He...wasn't worth it.”

Her smile turns sour. “Fine! He was a hologram too. You've won.” She presses a button on her wrist device, teleporting away as Phillip drops at my feet, beaten and haggard. I pull him into my arms.

“How did you know?” he whispers.

“Visions are seldom all they seem...but if I know you, I know what you'll do...” I close my eyes and lean into the sweetest of kisses.
 the end
 

30 comments:

  1. Nice twists - bringing Sleeping Beauty to the 21st Century :)

    And tell Mr. Quentin not to laugh... love is a serious business :)

    PS... *Thanks* for participating and sharing the love on Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Monsieur Quentin has been handed the message ;)

      Delete
  2. Unique. Will definitely be appreciated by the modern tech-savvy audience ...
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking Stargate a little...thanks!

      Delete
  3. So, so, SO clever! I love the modern take on this! I can totally picture this in a real, sci-fi book! And SO fun how you worked in the song words at the end. Really great job here! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I've been soaking up lots of sci-fi through 10 seasons of Stargate and lots of Quantum Leap lately ;)

      Delete
  4. The end was the best. Definitely a different twist. Thanks for reading My Entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by - had to rework that ending a couple times ;)

      Delete
  5. Sweetness! Good one. You know...I'm thinking I should have declared a team with my story. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think yours could go with a couple different teams - thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Aw, sweet ending. Definitely has a modern day appeal. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, love in the end. Lol Great twist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that she saw through the ruse and won her true love in the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby helped...though this wasn't the ending he thought of ;)

      Delete
  9. Knowing the real version of your true love is like being able to see your own kid from a distance on a field among 50 wearing the same uniform. Great story.
    http://hoperoberson.blogspot.com/2012/08/team-love-story.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Makes me think of a time I was stranded in a parking garage in Paris with a girlfriend, waiting for her husband. I said, 'Isn't that him in the red shirt?" She said, "No, he doesn't walk like Thomas." Turns out it was him, just doing a crazy where-in-the-heck-were-you-girls walk ;)

      Delete
  10. Loved this :) Especially how you modernized - or futurized the concepts into a game playing motif. Lots of fun to read, and speculate on.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching too much Stargate ;)

      Delete
  11. This was so creative. I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was Bad A and so well done. Love, love, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. once upon a video game! all the tech talk and teleporting was like the stages to win! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Yes! That is just how the fairytale should go. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work Jenna. I didn't see that ending coming and I love it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. Very creative and clever twist. In fact this would have been great for team twist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome! Love how you incorporated the song into it! So fun!
    Great twist to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice SF slant to the story. Good job. I like how it has a happy ending that is also a twist.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget