Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Inspiration from Cinder

In my free moments, I've been zipping through some YA lit...when I can tear myself away from Scrabble - the computer's scared of me now! My favorite was a dystopian, sci-fi, fairytale novel called CINDER by Marissa Meyer.

Cinderella is a cyborg.

She's also a mechanic - the best in New Bejing.

'Cause she's in Asia (called the Eastern Commonwealth in her times).

Prince Kai is the son of the Emperor.

There are Lunar people (who really live on the moon).

There's a sort of futuristic "Bubonic" plague sweeping the planet.

Her evil stepmother volunteers her body for plague research.

Did I mention that Cinder's best friend is a sassy android?

If you're not already putting this in your Amazon wishlist, did I mention that it follows the fairytale just enough to remind us it's Cinderella? Or that she loses her cyborg foot at the ball, not just her shoe? I love the twists and turns of the story, the adorable characters (I love villains too, when they are so detestable), and a fabulous world, full of gadgets, yet smelling of yummy Chinese food. It was also romantic in a sweet way, without being too hormone-ridden (if you know what I mean ;) I can't wait for the next three books, which will be coming out over the next couple years. They're going to be focused on Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White and Rapunzel!
The author, Marissa Meyer, was also at the WriteOnCon conference last week with a vlog on starting a new project that I found really ell-thought through and helpful.  Go here to watch it. Here's more about her, by the way. Marissa Meyer is the New York Times-bestselling author of CINDER: Book One of the Lunar Chronicles. She’s a fan of most things geeky (Sailor Moon, Firefly, any occasion that encourages costumes), and has been in love with fairy tales since she was a kid. She may or may not be a cyborg. 
Also wanted to mention the winners of the WHAT IF fairytale blogfest. Thanks to hosts, Morgan ShamyMark Koopmans, Cassie Mae, and  Leigh Covington for a great time and felicitations the winners! Comedy  Plot Twist  Tragedy  Love story

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jenna,

    Glad you enjoyed the Blogfest and I think we're going to do it again next year... and if we do, we'll have to invite Marissa :)

    What a cool book, thanks for reviewing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairytales are a constant source of inspiration for new books. Though not all of them work this one sounds as though it has something original about it...and a bit of tongue-cheek humour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a great twist on an old classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark: I know she'd do something amazing!
    Martin: I did love the humor.
    Nicole: I loved that it was in Asia - just gave such a new feel to it.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget