Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Inspiration from Hunger Games

As a writer, you hear about new books with a curious, perhaps skeptical or critical eye. Will this be the next big one? Is this the sign of a coming trend? Will it actually be well-written or is there more hype than true literature involved?

HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins was on my list of research reading books. As usual, I waited until the last of the trilogy was out before I jumped in. I hate waiting. I only bought the first book though, to see if I really needed to read them all. I took it on a transatlantic airplane, next to the eighteen month-old's snacks. Turns out the book was devoured long before the goldfish crackers. 

By now, this is probably old news to you. Either you've read HUNGER GAMES, seen the film, or heard about it.What I want to say, what inspired me, was the depth of world-building involved. From the bread of different Districts and their individual occupations, to the dizzying technology and carnival world of the City, to the landscape of the Games. In watching the film, we appreciated these changing scenes and how they advanced the story.

I am trying to remember this as I play around in my work in progress, the Magicless. From Paris to a graffiti-tagged suburb of Bordeaux, to a little mountain village, from the inner workings of their magic to their overgrown government, I want my world to be complete.

What does the world of your book, WIP or story look like? What is one of your favorite worlds to visit in a book or movie?  

8 comments:

  1. Just realized why that first sentence is a bit off - I was hearing with my EYE! Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the film and it spoiled the books for me. The film was rushed to am anxious public whom I felt were ripped off. Had Hollyweird taken their time and crafted a better script, I believe they would have made considerably more money.

    I don't blame Ms. Collins as she has done very, very well for herself. She's the new J.K. Rowling as far as I am concerned. I do blame the greedy execs in Hollyweird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't regret seeing the movie, but I think I'm gonna reread the books ;)

      Delete
  3. I love this story, and you're right the world building really does it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. World building makes all the difference in science fiction and fantasy. Haven't seen or read Hunger Games, but what I've seen reminds me of an older move, 'Logan's Run'. Their theme was renew, at the ripe old age of 30. My fave world building - the DUNE universe by Frank Herbert.

    Thanks for the visit to my blog, Jenna. PS-Have fun reading Alex's second book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby introduced me to the film, Dune. Still need to read the book!

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen or read Hunger Games either, but it does sound interesting though not in completely unexplored territory as D G points out. I like good world building, but I prefer to stay grounded in the present or in the 19th or 20th century.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yup, it's neat to watch a new series or read a book and say, "Um, this in kind of a combination of this and that, with a twist, in a new voice!"

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget