Saturday, June 23, 2012

Inspiration from Faeries

Here's a little Saturday Five Sentence Fiction inspiration. Lille McFerrin's prompt word is "Faeries." 

"I know there's bad things in the world," she stared straight ahead at the coral sunset behind the wheat field, not daring to look in his eyes. "I don't need to experiment or experience them; I choose to remain innocent, I choose how I view the world. I choose to see faeries, not lightening bugs."

Her highcheeks bones, prominent nose and plain brown hair softened and glowed in the fading light. His bruised heart beat cautiously, as if he too might believe faeries--at least in the one next to him.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, that's beautiful! I love LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree lets keep seeing the magic everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece of flash fiction. Good writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna, this is wonderful. Good for your protagonist! I choose to see fairies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great piece to explain that magic is all around us. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, very nice. I think we let go of our innocence too quickly. Maybe we should take a page from her book and hold on to the magic some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her attitude! If we open our eyes and look closely enough, we'll discover the magic in the simplest things...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally magic...wonderful attitude in this world, we can all see magic if we look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such sweetness and complexity of feeling caught up in those five short sentences --- my goodness, I am in love. With the story, and the characters. Job well done!! Glad to find you through the FSF community. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nor harm in wanting to hold on to that sweet innocence as long as possible... for life can turn harsh on the turn of a dime...and it seems she's privy to it. Lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really pretty, Jenna.
    It reminds me a bit of my E.D. Baker book: "Fairy Wings."
    I love her beliefs about the fairy and lighting bug theory.

    - Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. I had a little sick boy this weekend and didn't get to replying! Have a fabulous week, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet. Especially when the tone she takes at the beginning makes it sound as if things won't work out for these two, his response, deciding to see magic too, seems all the more poignant. Great work!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget