Saturday, May 5, 2012

Inspiration from Trolls

Do you like everything on a waffle?

Well, I'm sure you'll like Polly Horvath's version!

I just finished reading EVERYTHING ON A WAFFLE and TROLLS. Must-reads. Delightful and astonishing.

Delightful because the stories are fresh, unexpected and the characters are hilarious. Astonishing because these little 150-page books for middle graders are not completely happy or lighthearted. EVERYTHING starts with the disappearance of the girl's parents and continues with dark disasters to herself and her carekeepers. TROLLS is full of Aunt Sally's creepy stories and her charming antics.

I always feel like I don't know how to write "funny." I don't like bathroom humor at all and my published stories/articles have dealt more with death and serious life issues than anything else. These books gave me a great glimpse of unique humor and style, a combination of serious and roll-on-the-floor funny.

Do you write funny stories? Have you enjoyed an author's style or voice? Who makes you laugh?

2 comments:

  1. These sound great. I wish I was a writer so much, if I was I would write stories with funny elements, but not purely funny stories. I grew up reading these diary-style books by Louise Rennison and I loved them. I could read them in the day and they were super funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check those out - thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget