Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Inspiration from the Pigeon

I was dusting the shelves, when the title of a book caught my eye, "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus." Wasn't gonna, was my first thought. But I was hooked and had to read it. Housekeepers/cleaners aren't supposed to mess in peoples' stuff, but I figured they wouldn't mind me checking out one of their picture books for a couple minutes.

I was rolling on the floor laughing as the simple, almost stick-figure bird tried to convince me to let him drive. "I'll bet your mom would let me." "I'll give you five bucks!" "Let's play 'drive the bus', I'll go first."

This book and others by Mo Willems soon became favorites. My dad showed me this NPR story recently, where Mo shares his pigeon inspiration. He was in Oxford, trying to work on writing. "And I made all these really terrible books," he says, "and in the margins, I started drawing this pigeon who was complaining about the other books." The pigeon was sarcastic, annoying and sure he'd be a better main character. The newest book, DUCKLING GETS A COOKIE,  is full of the pigeon's outrage that he isn't even in the title. Uh oh. But there's lots of Pigeon books...

Have you ever had a character that took over your life? Been inspired by doodles? Been inspired to drive a bus or give a duckling a cookie?

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this, but it sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great picture books are for adults too ;)

      Delete
  2. I doodle a lot, but it's more or less just me daydreaming. Nothing's come from it, yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Save them - they could be famous some day!

      Delete
  3. Bonjour, Jenna :)

    Glad you are enjoying my mini-series... and seriously... how do women carry mini-humans without some serious hard plastic to protect said carried baby... it's amazing :)

    Thanks for this post, too.. I never heard of Mo, but what a cool dude and great books :)

    PS... tell the Hubster that he *needs* to start *believing* in Mother's Day - especially if y'all keep on having more kids :)~

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing. I haven't heard of these but they sound really funny and charming. So funny how inspiration comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone else mentioned that book recently. Sounds funny.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget