Thursday, May 31, 2012

Inspiration from Melba Toast

We're trying to get in shape this summer. I'm working on more exercise, my hubby on better eating habits. I was looking into melba toast for him, when I stumbled across a story. "There goes life, again! Giving me something to blog about!"
Melba toast was created by Auguste Escoffier, for his hotel-owning friends, the Ritz. He originally named it Toast Marie, after Marie Ritz, who said she never had enough toast. He renamed after Dame Nellie Melba, the Australian opera singer. They say she ate it regularly in 1897, during an illness. Escoffier also named Peach Melba after her. But the inspiration didn't start there; this lady had been inspired by life. She chose to honor her hometown of Melbourne with her stage name (her real name was Helen Porter Mitchell). When I found all this out about a singer that I knew nothing about, I had to find a recording of her voice. Here's a little video with pictures and clips. (removed - caused too much spam. Go look her up on youtube though.

 For other stories behind everyday items, see the Chat Noir, Listerine and I heart NY.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting pos. I always wondered if anyone ever bought Melba toast. Now I know. Getting sidetracked on the Internet is my biggest time sucker of my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! All I have to do is check the weather online and...whoosh! Sucked in ;)

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I never knew where Melba Toast came from. It is used often in diets, but that's all I knew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life seems to be more interesting than we give it credit for sometimes...

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget