Thursday, April 26, 2012

Inspiration from W

Inspiration from Wonderbar.




As I learned about blogging, I learned about Nathan Bransford. If you're a writer and or blogger, please find out about his amazing agent/writer/blogger self!

When his first book, Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow, last May, I said to myself, "Self, that book will qualify as research." So I got it as a Christmas present (wahoo! kids' books!). I love reading and I love seeing really good examples of my target middle-grade age group. Jacob Wonderbar was funny, adventurous and full of the good friend characters that I appreciate. I've especially been thinking about the ending and tying things off while leaving the possibility of another story. Those are all things I'd like someone to be able to say about my book...someday! I can't wait to read the second book, Jacob Wonderbar for President of the Universe, which came out on the 12th of April. 

On the inspiration side of things, on his blog, Nathan shared a picture of himself on an astronaut suit, saying it was inspiration for Jacob's space suit. Awww, cute! In an AUTHORNOMICS interview, Nathan said Jacob wasn't inspired by any one person, but he was always a good by-the-rules kid, who feared and respected the troublemakers...like Jacob!

What do you have in your childhood closet? Any experiences of pictures, costumes, magic acts or retainers that would be great in a middle-grade novel?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I love reading about Nathan and his body of work. Thanks for focusing your post on him!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget