Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Inspiration from D

Inspiration from Dreams.





Have you ever have one of those dreams that you remember for years? The kind of sheer freakiness that you actually thought that up? Once, I was being chased by Gollum from Lord of the Rings. After miles, I decide I was tired of being afraid and running. I grabbed a pair of scissors and killed that slimey obessed creature. *gulp* That is something I would never do in real life. How did I get that in my head?
Gollum wax museum mexico cityAs a kid, as I fell asleep, I'd repeat "I want to remember my dreams." Sometimes, it'd work - I have a lovely, though vague, memory of a dream with a collie dog. In my teens, my dreams could be more disturbing (like the Gollum one!) and I'd whisper poetry and Bible verses or sing to ward off the monsters.  

I think we've all had dreams of flying, dreams of super powers and such. Do you draw on those experiences for your writing? Or have you ever been trying to solve a problem or imagine a scene and found the answer while you were sleeping?
I found some interesting sites that talks about famous lucid dreamers, like James Cameron, director of films like Avatar and Titanic, Salvador Dali who attempted to put his dreams on canvas, and author Stephen King who has cited dreams as inspiration for various works. 

Have you ever written down a dream? Was it a whole scene, or an experience/sensation?  

15 comments:

  1. I experience vivid dreams quite frequently, usually about events in my life or things I stress about, but occasionly there will be something adventurous and amazng that gets me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to trace things in my dream back to my daytime thoughts/conversation - there's usually something there! Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  2. I never thought of using dreams as inspiration.....but it's an interesting idea. Mine would be a bit Pulp Fictiony since they tend to jump around a bit....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean - my ditzy brain given free-rein ;) Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  3. I have vivid dreams, but I can't remember most of them, except the ones that are more sensation. Usually I'm in a maze like city and I learn to fly or I'm flying and I crash into a maze. Obstacle <--> Inspiration
    I do remember when Red Dawn came out, and I dreamed I was shot by a Russian soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those sensations! Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  4. Aloha,

    I keep a pen and paper next to my bed and some of my *favorite* ideas for future WIPs come from dreams... I love it:)

    Merci for stopping by - and I hope you *do* the A-Z list for the kids... Look at me... I've had mine for forty years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if it's good I'll post it - but I think a handwritten A to Z will go in a baby book for sure!

      Delete
  5. I had a dream about my dad and turned it into a story once. I get images from dreams a lot. I also finish a dream if wake up too early.

    Jen from http://falling4fiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you can catch the sequel to a dream! Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  6. Cool post! I do conjure up my best ideas while ALMOST asleep-in other words, in some type of meditative alpha state. Lucid dreaming, yes, you could also call it that. I used to have a dream where a phone would ring and ring and by the time I found it, and picked it up, the person would hang up. Thankfully, I don't dream that anymore. It was awfully frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always need time before sleep to "file" all my thoughts and meditate on things. I've never had a dream that repeated - it does sound frustrating! Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  7. I did one of my posts on dreams too. I remember a lot of dreams (or at least parts of them) for years but that's because I get inspired by my dreams for a majority of the novel ideas. Not even just the freaky ones. Dreams can be strange, fun, odd, different, boring, and so many other things. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are your boring dreams about? I frequently dream my to-do list - then wake up to find I have to actually do it. That's boring ;) Bon chance A-Zing!

      Delete
  8. Most of my writing ideas come from dreams. I put this one up last September: "In Times of War"

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget