Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Inspiration from C

Inspiration from Cooking

I've talked before about a film called Julie and Julia, which was inspired by a true story. Julie was inspired by the great chef, Julia Child, and decided to cook and blog her way through Julia's cookbook. I found it inspiring another blogger had found success and so on.

But today is about cooking. Food. The thing that inspired both of those women. The buttery-roasted poulet. The delectable sole à la normande, fish in cream sauce.  A satisfying beouf bourguignon, beef stew. Quiche. Unctuous chocolate soufflé. Pain au chocolat et crossiant.     
Yup. I'm addicted. Especially if the food is French or Italian or Chinese or Moroccan or Nepali...I'm not particular. I find the variety, shapes and colors invigorating. When I'm really depressed or annoyed, it isn't really food that comforts me, but cooking it. It peaks my imagination, challenges my ingenuity, tickles senses; even the chopping is therapeutic! I think creating something, filling my space with fragrant vapors, and the happy success of a good meal or snack, is good for my writing too. I frequently enjoy at least juice or tea when typing. The little pause of sipping helps me think of the next phrase, and the bathroom break works for a longer thinking spell!   

Have you ever tried cooking up a storm when you were down or had writer's block? Do you have a favorite rejuvenating activity? Do you have a great recipe I should try?


20 comments:

  1. I love the movie Julie and Julia. I try to cook, but my wife is the expert in our home. Baking wise try gooey butter cake it is a Paula Deen recipe. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy cooking but when I'm down I cross stitch or go to the woods for a walk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the woods - they are beautiful in any weather!

      Delete
  3. I very much enjoyed that movie...but the kitchen & I do not get along. Lots of fires. I do like to sew & craft while listening to 80's music & that gets my juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neat thing about Julia's cookbook, is it gives all the explanations, not assuming that you know how to sauté mushrooms - I like that about it!

      Delete
  4. Perfectly worded! I absolutely love cooking, the presentation, the aromas, and, of course, tasting my creation! My husband and I love to sit down together and flip through a cookbook to see what will be our next inspiration. Whenever I have a rough day and need a little pampering, I get out the "fine cuisine" recipes and go crazy! :) I especially miss the French cuisine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been to France? If we move back to the USA, either I'll be cooking a lot of French stuff, or we'll have to find a good restaurant!

      Delete
    2. Yes, and I SO loved it! (this is Alisha Hunt, by the way, I just realized that it posted my blog site and not my name). Well, if you move back I will pay you to teach me what you learned!! :)

      Delete
  5. I love cooking as well! It really is good for the soul and a great time to work out plot snags. When I'm writing I like to eat things that aren't too messy so I can pause for only the briefest moments before I start pounding away at the keyboard again. That's why juice or Hot chocolate work so well ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen on writing drinks - I've been doing chai too this winter ;)

      Delete
  6. I like to do most of my cooking outside with fire and smoke. I'm pretty good at creating rubs and marinates. I like to experiment with the different flavors.

    Grilling and smoking require patience and timing and a sense of what does and doesn't belong -- just like the unwritten chapter I was yelling at earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had our first BBQ of the year on Monday! Hope that chapter simmered down and got into shape ;)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jenna .. I love cooking too - don't do much of it now - but wouldn't mind relaxing around a French kitchen!! with herbs, fruit and veg then to the market to see what else is around .. I did enjoy the film Julie Julia - shows what can be done with a blog ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cook up a storm almost every night. The nights I don't? Whatever is left over from the prior night. However, now I can't stop thinking about chocolate croissants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cook too? You're a rock star. I love leftovers maybe more than I love the original - it's just as yummy without effort! It was my evil plan to make you pastries;)

      Delete
  9. I liek the idea of cooking to get the story ideas flowing. Julia Child is lots of fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what I'd look like on my own TV show? Would I be that interesting? Funny thought!

      Delete
  10. I love cooking, and Julie & Julia is one of my all time favorite movies. Cooking does relieve stress and make you happy. Here's a recipe of my grandmother's for sausage gravy. It's really good, even though it's super simple. The memories associated with it are great, so it always makes me happy to cook it. http://potspansandhelpfulhints.blogspot.com/2010/09/sausage-gravy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to try that recipe!

      Delete

There was an error in this gadget