Monday, April 2, 2012

Inspiration from B

Inspiration from Beethoven.





Ah! What great music! What strains genius! His music is itself inspiration.

But what inspired him?
Many of us know or learned to play Beethoven's simple elegant air, Fur Elise. In my head, I see my sister passionately tapping it out...nah-nah nah-nah nah-nah ba da um...

It was written for Elise...but who was she? This inscription was said to be seen on a lost original manuscript. Was it misread and perhaps said, "Therese," the composer's sweetheart at the time? The piece was written around 1810, when Beethoven was becoming increasingly reclusive as his hearing faded, hence what other acquaintances could he have had with the name Elise? There was an opera singer, Elisabeth Röckel, who married a friend of Beethoven's. Their daughter was called for her mother, who records show might have been called Elise in Vienna. But no one really knows.

Beethoven's inspiration is as enigmatic as the Mona Lisa's smile, yet they continue to inspire us. What other famous icons remain mysterious? Do you have any favorites?

17 comments:

  1. Interesting post. And how very apt to compare Beethoven's inspiration to the woman who sat for the Mona Lisa.

    J.C. Martin
    A to Z Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable and interesting posts so far! Greetings from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming - good luck A to Z-ing!

      Delete
  3. Nice post..Truly, we need to be inspired by tis great musician!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been listening to a lot of classical lately - it's magic on the 2 year-old!

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed watching it being played as well as listening to it:) Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a visual learner, so it's not interesting if there's nothing to see ;) Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  5. Such a beautiful song, great post! Good luck with the rest of the alphabet and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I never really thought about the title of the piece--but there must have been an Elise!

    Interesting post. :)


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister Charity would dedicate a song to some random name just to get people guessing ;)
      Thanks for reading - good luck A to Z-ing!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for a great piece of music. I like Beethoven but my favorite is Mozart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kiddos and I have been listening to Mozart lately! Good luck A to Z-ing!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful post! I LOVE music! (Currently learning Fur Elise on the violin for a duet!)

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
    thewriterace.blogspot.com
    A to Z c-host
    www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play violin too, but I've never played Fur Elise on it. I love doing duets, especially with the cello!

      Delete
  9. Very interesting. It seems like I'm learning a lot from reading these A to Z posts. I guess I never put much thought into the name, but what a story this one piece has.

    Thanks for sharing it... now I'm going to be thinking about it all night:-)
    ~2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like discovering "the rest of the story" on ordinary things or things we take for granted! Good luck A to Z-ing!

      Delete
  10. Yes, Beethoven. Actually, any music without lyrics helps me write. Rachmaninoff, Philip Glass. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget