Thursday, March 1, 2012

Inspiration from Mercy Ships

Sometimes I wonder what it is I do (yes, I'm quoting Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail). But it's true. What does the sum of my life come to? What am I doing on this earth? Sometimes there's an inspiring answer, sometimes a sobering answer, sometimes there's no answer.

I find it inspiring to see what some people are doing with their lives. I've talked about Melissa Ruebke in a previous post or two. She's a 21 year-old volunteering as a dental assistant with Mercy Ships in West Africa for the last several years. Her duties go far beyond being a "spit sucker" and "instrument holder." Situations have called on her to do procedures, train short-term dentists in 3rd world care, work with African day volunteers, help with the screening days, as patients are selected for treatment...or sent away. She's had three bouts of malaria, lived/visited Burkina Faso, Liberia, Togo, Sierra Leone, Ghana, and is my source for amazing pieces of African fabrics. I am so blessed to know her and inspired by her life and service. Melissa blogs at Tooth Fairy Tales; I know she'd be encouraged to hear from you!

Who inspires you to do or be more?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget