Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Inspiration from I Heart NY

There's lots of things in life we take for granted. We see them, without seeing them, and assume they have always been there. As writers and readers and just ordinary people, it's important to look and see! I've already talked about the Chat Noir poster and Listerine.

But who invented I Heart NY? Where did it come from? When did it start? Why?

Well, in 1977, the Deputy Commissioner of the New York State Department of Commerce hired Milton Glaser to create a design to go with a marketing campaign for the state. He actually did the work for free! The logo quickly became popular, printed on white t-shirts, but also on umbrellas, bumper stickers etc. Instead of being part of a publicity stunt for a few months, it has become part of pop culture and can be seen around the world as other cities made their variation.

I wondered about this logo, as a French friend showed me the 6 dollar umbrella she brought back from NYC. She  had to strap it to a backpack on the airplane, then her son kept it in Paris so she wouldn't have to take it on the train, eventually bringing it to her in Bordeaux. Whew! All that because she wanted her cute New York City souvenir with this logo!

Do you have something with I heart NY on it? Have you gone to lengths to bring back a souvenir? Did you know anything about this logo before?

8 comments:

  1. I do not own anything with I Heart NY. But...I haven't been to NYC yet...so maybe soon :)

    But I did lug a 'petting cactus' all the way from Arizona this past weekend. :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to go to the SCBWI New York conferance some day! Hopfe we both make it to the Big Apple ;)

      A cactus doesn't sound like a good traveling companion - I like to sleep on whoever's with me!

      Delete
  2. I'm from NY but didn't know the story of the logo. Thanks. I once carried a King snake in my purse from CA.It was wrapped in a cotton bag. My brother-in-law was curator of reptiles at the LA zoo and he gave it to me. OBviouslythis was long before security check points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Wonder what they'd do or day about that these days!

      Delete
  3. I went to NY state once a bought a snow globe with the Logo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wife and I used to live in New York. She lived in Astoria and I lived in Chelsea. It was an amazing time in our lives.

    We have quite a few New York items. Oddly enough, we have two shot glasses in a cupboard with that logo on them. The Girl saw them a few weeks ago. We've decreased her milk intake at night so she doesn't have accidents in her bed, and she loves having her milk from "the heart glasses." So instead of 10 ounces from a sippy cup, she gets 1 ounce from an "I {Heart} NY" shot glass. It's funny, but it sure has worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love creative parenting! Good story too...

      Delete
  5. No trips to NY, no souvenirs with the NY logo on them, but I loved learning where it came from!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget