Thursday, February 9, 2012

Guest Post by Kimberly Griffiths Little

I recently met Kimberley Griffiths Little through her blog. She is the recipient of the Southwest Book Award and the Whitney Award for Best Youth Novel of 2010. Her books have been on several state reading lists, received starred reviews, and chosen for the Bank Street College Best Books of 2011. She lives on a dirt road in a small town by the Rio Grande with her husband, a robotics engineer, and their three sons. Kimberley is a favorite speaker at schools around the country, presenting "The Creative Diary", a highly successful writing workshop She is a co-founder of SPELLBINDERS http://www.spellbindersbooknews.blogspot.com, a national newsletter for Educators and Librarians to create life-long readers. Please follow her at her personal blog and at SPELLBINDERS! Website: http://www.kimberleygriffithslittle.com (Book Trailers, Teacher's Guides, Mother/Daughter Book Club Guide) Thanks again, Kimberley, for a great post and story!

Where does Inspiration Come From?

Hey, it’s Kimberley here, and I’m so happy to be a guest poster on Jenna’s very cute blog. I see some friends out there, too! Yay!

My inspiration comes from everywhere - from the smell of food cooking, a crazy quote some person said, staying in a haunted tower room at a castle, my love of all things ancient and mystical, or from the blog of a fellow writer. ;-)

Okay, well, maybe not from the other writer's blog but truly, inspiration is anywhere or anything - and everything! In the case of my latest middle-grade novels with Scholastic, I fell in love with the bayous and the swamps and the Cajun people while traveling through Louisiana on my way to Disney World.

So there I was, on my way to being Princess for a day, waiting in endless lines and running around Epcot chasing costume clad teenagers for pictures, (my family felt that it was necessary to stop for things like Bathroom breaks and Food and Sleep. Who needs all that when you have Disney World just 16 more hours ahead of you?)

But on one of our leg-stretching explorations we ended up in Louisiana Cajun Country and it was amazing! The food, the language, the attitude, the magic, the people! I felt like I had just come home and I’m a California girl so that’s a pretty big reach. But after spending just two days there I knew I had to go back.

During my many research trips/vacations the stories just started forming themselves out of all the experiences I had and several years, agents, and temper tantrums later the need for bathroom breaks led me to Published Novels! Eeek! So be careful if I come over for a visit and keep coming back for some strange reason, its only because I’m writing a book inspired by you ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oooo! Cajun country...I wrote a short story based on my time visiting there. Gotta love everything about it, just couldn't live there myself though. :) Enjoyed your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post, Kimberley! So nice to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Em, thanks for commenting and it's so fun to meet another Cajun lover girl. How cool that you've written about Louisiana, too. It's a magical place, that is for sure.

    And hey, everybody out there . . . I'd love to hear about the things that inspire you to write or be creative. Or how do you get in the mood?

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget