Saturday, February 18, 2012

Guest Post by Corinne O'Flynn

I met Corrine O'Flynn through the Rule of Three Blogfest, where she won first place with this lovely tale. Corrine loves to write about fantastical, eerie, and sometimes dark and magical things. You can find her on her blog http://www.corinneoflynn.com and on twitter @CorinneOFlynn  http://www.twitter.com/corinneoflynn. Thanks again, Corrine, for this beautiful post!

Flashes of Inspiration

Inspiration - in•spi•ra•tion/ˌinspəˈrāSHən/
Noun:  The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative: "flashes of inspiration".

I believe most people can look within and find the thing that inspires them. Even if you’re not walking around today actively motivated by the one special thing, I bet we all could – given time to ponder – bring to light some pivotal though or quote or feeling from our past that drives us on some deeper level.

In my experience, inspiration appears at odd, unexpected moments when it can best catch you off guard and ignite that passion to do something new, or something more, or just something.  It doesn't have to be something grand or amazing either. Sometimes inspiration produces an essay, a poem, or even just a thought.  As a writer, I find that inspiration can sometimes be elusive, and can never be forced. 

I’ve been thinking about inspiration in the time since Jenna so graciously asked me to share this post, and wondered what I would write. Then I logged on to the interweb of greatness and saw this:

Now, THAT inspires me.

As a fantasy writer I take one look at that image and I am instantly drawn to the story within.  Look at how our chivalrous bear, fearless and stoic, stands in absolute defiance against the horrible monster who would wake the child and bring him into the nightmare world.

Look at the child, sleeping peacefully. He has chosen this bear as protector. Placid dreams and peaceful sleep are soft cozy blankets he wears, confident in the knowledge that however small of stature his bear might be, Teddy has a heart twice the size of any foe.
 
Does our bear have a name? Is he the first of this child’s protectors? Or is he a new recruit, and this his first foray into the netherworld of nightmares after his predecessor was devoured by the darkness and the child woke in a cold sweat only a hair’s breadth from being eaten alive?

There are many places to find inspiration, and many ways to become inspired by the things in your every day.  Images can be so powerful, and sometimes evoke feelings we didn’t know we had lurking these beneath the surface.

What inspires you?



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Jenna! I have since discovered the artist of the original image and thought it important to share: http://begemott.deviantart.com/art/sweet-halloween-dreams-42197587

    I am still so moved by how this image speaks to the storyteller in me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a fan of Corrine's work. I'd say more about inspiration, but I think I'm up on the 23rd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joshua! I look forward to your post on inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget