Saturday, January 21, 2012

Inspiration from the Fifth Element

You ever have one of those days where you go, "This can't be happening to me." Not like in Notting Hill, when Hugh Grant says it was "Surreal but nice." I mean surreal and not nice.

Anywho, after one of those days, the only thing to do is take a hot shower and watch some science fiction. Not real and very nice. So last night, it was the Fifth Element. What I really love in that movie is the soundtrack. It sets the tone and makes the Bruce-Willis-attitude less action movie and more science fiction. I like the raw beat of the first clip, very garbage-can head-banging. The voice in the second and the combination of styles in the second is perfect. (I had to take off the videos - too much spam. Go to Youtube to hear these songs.)

We've talked about having a soundtrack to your writing before, so here I wanna know how you put that sound into your book? Do you have lots of images, videos and clips that could go with your story? Have you thought of using a different media, like a book app? Is there a movie soundtrack that particularly inspires you?

17 comments:

  1. I've never given it any thought. Some things are best left to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of adding sounds to writing. I think it'd heighten the "experience" of reading a particular passage or scene and, perhaps, make it more memorable and/or meaningful. So far, I've tried to add those sounds using words. You idea about adding different media is intriguing, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an article about book apps in the recent SCBWI newsletter - wondered if anyone else had considered it!

      Delete
  3. While I was writing my current WIP there was a song that defined my last scene, the climax scene, perfectly. Every time I listened to the song I could picture the scene and it wasn't even written yet.

    When I finally got to the end of my MS that scene flew onto the computer screen with such ease. It was so cool. Just like I pictured twenty times before ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I generally have more of a picture or feeling for a scene and then struggle to get it expressed. Maybe I should look for a song...

      Delete
  4. I always write to music and usually a couple songs really stand out and fit the mood of my story.
    And that is a fun movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think music unleashes the power of both sides of our brain; Albert Einstein and Thomas Jefferson played the violin when they were stuck on a problem! My violin doesn't give me their kind of power though ;)

      Delete
  5. Adele could sing her way through my current WIP. In fact, there are certain songs I listen to while reading the lyrics to really get the feel of the tone I need for a certain scene. Great post - new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love The Fifth Element! I'm very visual. I like to see the story happening in my head. I'm also one of the few people that doesn't like to listen to music while writing. It's too much of a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my need for silence or music depends on the scene and my mood! Sometimes I need some white noise/music, sometimes I find I'm just singing along instead of writing!!

      Delete
  7. I'll talk more about this in that thing I'm putting together for you...if I ever get it done! I always listen to music otherwise my mind gets distracted by the sounds of kids or whatever. Almost always something without lyrics, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool- can't wait! Understand drowning out the other noises ;)

      Delete
  8. I love that movie. The quirkiness of it holds a special place in my sci-fi heart.

    I left you an award on my blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love quirky sci-fi so much I married a guy who is always digging some new title up for me ;)

      Thanks so much! I'm honored!

      Delete
  9. Hey, it's great to find your blog! BTW, I love "The Fellowship of the Blog Ring"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love 5th element! and bruce willis would be my mc, in his younger "moonlighting" days =)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget