Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Inspiration from Awards and Kelley Lynn!

(This is Thursday's post only early. Just because.)

This morning started like most others. The alarm sounds, the cat whines at the bedroom door, the toddle starts screaming/singing/knocking on the wall. Any one of those sets off the others. Then I waddle for the shower while my sweet hubby  shuts up gets juice and bread for the kiddo and exterminates feeds or lets out the cat.

Little did I know (think Stranger Than Fiction)...
 
...that on opening my emails/blog notifications, I would find I had been given two awards! Yipta-whodee! A fellow blogger/writer Kelley Lynn graciously passed out the Versaile Blogger and the Kreativ Blogger awards to a bunch of great people - click on her name to go and meet her and check out the list!

For the Kreativ one I'm supposed to share ten things about myself and pass it on to six bloggers (I won't redo the Versatile award this time). Not sure if I am more creative or versatile, but 'there you go' (think My Big Fat Greek Wedding).
 So ten things about me:

1) I was supposed to marry an Italian. I love the food, the language, the hot guys, the sun...and then I met and fell in love with a French guy. He did take me to Venice for our honeymoon. And he buys me pizza. So I forgive him for his displaced nationality.

2) Out of high school, I was going to be an interior designer. Plans fell through. Then I saw an ad from the Institute of Children's Literature and I thought maybe there was really a way to follow my heart to writing.

3) I sold my first magazine story to Brio, a Christian teen girl magazine. After a bunch of rejections, it was the biggest encouragement I could ask for!

4) I have sisters. I have to pause and think how many. Seven. That's right, 'cause there's ten of us, minus two boys, minus me makes seven. My older sister and I ran things, and the rest are baby sisters. Well, except that now they are taller than us, one has spent the last two years in Western Africa, one is considering China...

5) I love a good movie quote - "'Some things in here don't react too well to bullets.' Yeah, like me!" That was the first one that popped in my head. Can you name that film?

6) I'm a super social person. Last summer, we moved to a small town in South Western France, the Dordogne department, where we don't know anybody. We're about an hour or more away from friends in Bordeaux. We're about 5-6 hours away from a bunch of friends who deserted us for Paris (a good place for jobs for young people with university degrees in this economy). I'm tickled because a friend is driving over from Bordeaux this afternoon (I love you, Pat!) and we are having a cheesy tartiflette dinner at our neighbor's tomorrow!

7) I love cheese and wine. Raclette cheese melted over potatoes and pickles, goat cheese crumbled in salad or melted on toast with honey, cheese overgrown with orange or teal mold, blue cheese on pizza and in artichoke soup!! And oaky red wine from the Médoc, cherry-ish Pinot Noir, bright clear white wine from the Alpes, or sweet honey apricot white wine that they serve with foie gras. During this pregnancy, I've thrown up all but very mild cheeses and you can't drink while growing a genius kid like mine. So I'm eagerly awaiting my return to the French table!

8) We speak Frenchlish or Franglais at home. Phrases like "C'est hot!" or "Get in bed. It's time to faire dodo" are common. The two year-old has some words he only says in French, like "chaussette" and "chausseur" but he understands perfectly sock and shoe. "Appomme" apple + pomme. is the only word he combines, for the moment!

9) I don't like medical things *shiver.* I won't go to a doctor unless something is broken...and I'm pretty sure it's broken. I can't remember the last time I went to a doctor because I was sick, and it's been over ten years since I've had an antibiotic (I take nutritional supplements, homeopathics, occasionally herbs). But I love medical-ish stuff. Like midwifery (I've attended around 30 home births), caring for relatives under hospice care and medical tv shows (House M.D is probably my favorite show ever). 

10) Things that scare me: French women (they can be every bit as snooty as the cliché, though they do warm up and grow on you). Ballerinas (no explanation necessary, I think). Disappointing a loved one. Moths (get that fluttery thing away, or so help me!). Forgetting some big grown-up paper or bill or deadline or something (no one knows, but inside, I'm an 8 year-old ;)

So now six random great bloggers to whom I pass both these awards. To the winners: feel free to accept as you wish, smile and carry on with life, write stuff about yourself and pass it on, whatever makes your day!

- Elizabeth at Liz Writes Books
- Mia Hayson at My Literary Jam and Toast
-Rek at A Chronicle of Dreams
-Kelley Robinson at Book Dirt
-
-Deb Marshall at Just Deb

17 comments:

  1. Thanks Jenna for the lovely award. Haven't been blogging(which includes visits) as much as I would like to... 10 things about me....maybe I will save that post for my A-Z challenge in April, are you joining by the way...you will have to blog for 26 days except sundays...as short post as 55 words to the usual.
    Wishing you a very happy and prosperous new year.
    Well the displaced nationality can always get you the best parfums et fashion labels. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to do the A-Z! We'll be back in the USA visiting my family, so I'm gonna schedule ahead as much as I can - sounds like it'll be fun!

      Delete
  2. So glad I could make your day! Love the thing about marrying a French man :)

    And I can't name the movie quote because, well, I just don't see enough movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joshua got it - the Hunt for Red October with Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin! Classic!

      Delete
  3. Seven sisters, bless you heart. I am so jealous you live in France. I need to make an international move at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving seems scary, but I was moving TO someone and I started out with the idea that this was my new home and I'd love it. So I do. We'll probably move to the USA and then maybe to Africa when the kids are bigger. Who knows?!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing parts of you. Always interesting to read about other authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's with all the movie quotes all over the place today?! And it's The Hunt for Red October, if I recall correctly.

    Also, I'm a fan of cheese, myself. My in-laws gave me a 300-page, hardcover book for Christmas, all about cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I can do whatever I want! Gosh!" says Napoleon Dynamite. I guess I was just in the mood and they kept popping up in my head. And yes, you got the Hunt for Red October right. Love Sean Connery. Love Jack Ryan.

      Delete
  6. Venice is my favoritest city in the world...I want to go back right now. And I love French cheese. I could eat a good Brie everyday for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a magical place for our honeymoon! On cheese, I know a 99 year-old tiny French grandma who says the meal isn't finished until she has had her Camembert!

      Delete
  7. Awesome! I love it when writers/bloggers support each other... seriously makes me so happy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would have quit by now if there weren't other writers/bloggers helping me!!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your awards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, Jenna thanks so much!!

    And--can I just say I loved reading this post, love how you use words-must be the writer in you:)

    Cheers and Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenna! Thank you for the award! So prettyy!

    Hahaha. I feel quit bad about how I MUTILATE the french language on accidental purpose on my blog now. Hahahaha.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget