Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Inspiration from the "Wrap It Up" Blogfest

My Thursday post is a day early because J.A. Bennett, Leigh Covington, and David Powers King are hosting a holiday blogfest!


The deal is to write a piece of flash fiction, poem, or song (300 words or less) for someone you know (real or imaginary), in any genre, with a holiday theme (real or fictional). Post it on your blog anytime between now and when the linky closes. You then give it to that someone, sometime before the new year! And are entered to win prizes!

Here's the linky tool:


And here's my entry (296 words):
Everything for Christmas 

The three girls crept towards it. It hadn't been on their Christmas lists. They hadn't even known that they could ask for it. But there it was, sitting on the coffee table. The girls shivered as they circled it. The oldest turned on an oil space heater. A breeze was coming through the door that led to the barn-half of their metal shed home.

They could have looked at it from their warm bunk beds. There weren't walls, just furniture delegating the "rooms." They had held a whispered argument; their parents were sleeping just on the other side of a row of dressers.


The present was too unexpected, too beautiful, too Christmas-ish. And it wasn't even wrapped. They could examine every inch. They slid out of bed.


It had a pink roof with a rippled edge, like sweet frosting on a white cake. The shutters were as blue as baby eyes. The kitchen and living room were downstairs, the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. A chic two-story dollhouse.


The second-born wondered if there were doll-people and furniture under the tree. The littlest poked a chubby finger in the door under the stairs to see if they were hiding.


Could Mommy and Daddy afford such a large present? They shouldn't ask for dolls too. They lived in the barn until they could find a cheap enough real house.

 "Christmas is giving whatever you can. Like Jesus gave us everything, even Himself,” the second-born reasoned, hugging herself. The oil heater wasn't even warm yet.


“Back to bed,” the oldest whispered. “Until they wake up. They'll want to see our faces, so act surprised.” The girls scurried and dove under the covers like little barn mice, full of delight and wonder.


They had gotten a house for Christmas.

23 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Absolutely beautiful and inspiring. What a fun Christmas feeling and I love the descriptions you have used! Thank you so much for participating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it :) I find the way you describe the house, and how it is so meaningful to those kids. Nice work :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Leigh Covington

    @Nick Hight

    Thanks for reading! I didn't say before, but this is a scene from my childhood, dedicated to my parents...real life can be so magical, unexpected and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. I love it! I want a house for Christmas. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Wow! Your words are so alive on the page. I could actually feel the shiver go through those girls. Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet!
    You've captured it perfectly! I can almost see the wonder and excitement on the girls' faces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story, sort of sad but in a sweet way. I agree with the others that I could really picture the scene and the girls' faces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, the last line brought tears to my eyes! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jenny S. Morris

    Dollhouse or real house? It makes a difference when filling out the order form ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mormon Mormon Writers

    @Trisha

    @MISH

    @Sara Bulla

    Thank you for your compliments! I feel like I'm still finding my voice and appreciate the positive feedback. Merry Christmas to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! You've captured the wonder perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a heartwarming story, and moving how the girls are so conscious of their parents' needs. And now you've made me completely curious about your life--you're right, reality is so rich and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a lovely picture you've painted! Full of life and the sweet wonder of a child. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Colleen Chen

    I think children should be sheltered but not lied to - that's how I grew up anyay! Those were tough years for my parents and the happiest of my childhood. I knew they loved us and would do everything for us, but I knew there was no Santa Claus to just give me whatever I wanted.

    I think everyone has a real life story to tell!! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw this is such a sweet piece. It's simply written, but still conveys the warmth and emotion in just the right amounts. Brava. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome entry. Thank you for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations in the contest Jenna!

    *New Follower*

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the description and feelings that you were able to convey. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You won second place! You get a couple of awesome books that feature short stories from David, Leigh, and I. Shoot me an e-mail so I can send them over - author.jabennett (at) gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget