Thursday, December 1, 2011

Inspiration from Paris

I had hoped to be doing in-person research for my work-in-progress, The Magicless, in the world's "most romantic" and my least favorite city. Instead, I did the research from my computer. Who needs Paris anyway?!

Really, Paris is ok. She just knows how to get under my skin. However, googling images to spark my imagination and refresh my memory was surprisingly refreshing and exhilarating.

I am planning a battle...more specifically, a street fight. A Paris riot. Oh yeah. Here's where it's going to be: the Champ de Mars beside the Eiffel Tower. 


Here are some of the combatants that will be either on the side of black magic or colored magic...gargoyles from Notre Dame, transformer type robots made from benches, railings and cars, Egyptian statues from the Louvre, bronze and marble statues from the Tuilerie gardens.

And here is a video of a clips from Paris riots (removed: caused too much spam! So go to youtube and look up Paris riots)...it gave me a better feel for the scene. I have an idea of the emotions a young girl could feel, caught up in this. I found myself in a soccer victory party in Bordeaux at 1am (hopefully, my mom didn't read that) and while it definitely wasn't a riot, everyone was well hydrated and excitable.


I am still working on a lot of the details, especially making clear what good magic and bad magic can and can't do, what they have in common and what is different. My husband gave me a Star Wars Jedi lesson about the dark side, the force and all that last night..."These are not the words you're looking for..."
Is there a city that inspires you? Have you seen some pictures that inspired you lately? Have you been in a riot recently? (wanna shares the gory details...in the name of research?!)

4 comments:

  1. LOL! No, no riot...just a firestorm of family squabbling that felt like a riot. Very intriguing post. Akumal, Mexico is intriguing to me. Think- spirit of the Mayan, although akumal means land of the turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a few to keep me inspired when I was in the mountains last week. It was quiet, overcast, the leaves were gone, and the place looked dead. Gave me a great mindset for post-apocalyptia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...your mom DID read that. - better take care of my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to Paris; seen all the touristy sights. I think if you're only going to write a scene of two in a novel, then the web suffices for research. If its fiction, not like you have to get every detail exactly correct. You can take creative license :) As long as you have the culture down for the era your're writing from, I'm pretty sure you don't actually have to live there to get the atmosphere correct.

    Ya know, just my opinion. The WWW has come a long way since its introduction int the 1980's . .

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget