Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Inspiration from Failure

I'm not sure if it's an artist complex or a writer's curse. I think we all have this feeling st some point. Having set a writing earning goal (that I now realize I can't achieve) I feel...like a failure.

I recently came across this post on Nova Ren Suma's blog, What Inspires Sara Zarr. Sara says, "I’ve been doing this and observing others doing this, or things like this, long enough to know that every book, every painting, every dance, every song, every screenplay, every movie, every craft project lives most of its life as a failure.


"The creative process, and the creative life, is mostly full of moments between the idea and the being done, the spark and the blazing fire, the shimmering magic and the finished piece. We’re always living in the gap between our vision of what could be and what might be, and what is."

Read the whole post - really excellent encouragement and examples of failures that went on to succeed. It sure inspires me. Especially on mornings like this, when my son is circling the table pulling an empty detergent box, his too-large sweatpants pinned in the back 'cause all the others are dirty, the kitchen bears traces of every meal eaten during the weekend and the possibility of adding 2,000 words to the WIP seems a ridiculously impossible dream.

Thinking of this a stage in the process, like childhood and potty-training, is really comforting. Eventually, this book will be finished edited, agented, sold, published and marketed. Nobody stays a turbulent two-year old forever, neither will this failure of a manuscript or this failure of a writer.

I hope encourages the artist in you with whatever dreams you are chasing!

4 comments:

  1. And I hope it encourages you, too. Honestly, I've been falling behind with NaNo the last few days. Did less than half of what I wanted to hit last night. So exhausted, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing takes so much courage! I think it makes us confront demons of failure that everyone has, but not everyone makes themselves face.

    I remember the first time I really felt like a success was during the first two weeks after my first son was born, when at the end of each day I felt like I'd done what I needed to, and well. It was a lovely feeling, but it made me a bit sad knowing I'd never had it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon courage with NaNo, Joshua! Just starting it is already a great success, no?

    It is a wonderful thing to know that we can be everything to that tiny new person, Colleen! Hopefully, it also showed you just how strong and magical you are to be that person!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the post last week and really connected with it as well. Good luck on your WIP :0)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget