Friday, September 9, 2011

A Writer's Haka

"Just give him your wallet." 
"Why?"
"He has a knife." 
"That's not a knife. *pulls out machete* This is a knife!"
(What film? A fresh kiwi to the first to guess correctly in the comments (if you choose to take that prize to mean a flirty New Zealander, I can't stop you ;)

(This is Saturday's post, I just can't get the scheduler to work.)

One of the best, and certainly the scariest, rugby teams puts their games faces on.



New Zealand's rugby team, the All Blacks, are renowned for their skill as players, but also for their terrifying Haka, a Maori warrior dance.

On Friday, Spetember 9th (yesterday for most readers), the All Blacks face Tonga at Auckland’s Eden Park to open the World Cup; 48 games of a 20-team tournament, ending Oct. 23 with the award of the Webb Ellis Cup.

So it's a cinch, right? Like for us writers; great talent, great platform, great enthusiasim, great brand = success.

But the All Blacks haven't won a World Cup since the first year it opened 24 years ago. And their whole country is hoping that this is their year. After a disatrous year and with a faible economy, New Zealand struggled to host this World Cup.

Yet, the All Blacks will go out there, put their game faces on, do their Haka, scare the pee-pee out of the other team...and fight.

I think I need a Haka. Something to motivate me and remind me that I am powerful.Maybe memorizing and reciting these words from Marianne Williamson.

Marianne Williamson

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."


So what is your Haka? Are you in need of one? Wanna talk about it?

3 comments:

  1. Wasn't it Crocodile Dundee (but he's Australian) who said that about the machete?

    Hope the World Cup is a wonderful success for New Zealand. Now, an ideal final would be New Zealand versus THE BOKKE!!!!! What a match that would be!(Although the All Blacks have an unfair advantage in the terrifying haka...!)

    RWC2011 South African check list:

    SA Flag - check!
    Naartjies - check!
    Biltong - check!
    CD of Shosholoza - check!
    Webb Ellis Trophy - must bring home...

    :):)

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray, Judy!! Yes, Dundee is Australian - I couldn't think of a New Zealand quote...now I'm thinking about "Whale Rider."

    I cheer for the Springboks too - I agree that a game between them and the All Blacks would be worth buying tickets! I'm going to look up Naartjies, Biltong, Shosholoza...always exciting to add to my store of cultural knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe I'm with Judy on this. Really hoping that we bring the trophy back home.

    But shit, am I glad Australia lost today? Sorry, I hate the Wallabies.

    Anyway... The All Blacks are my second choice to win. :-)

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget