Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What you put in is what you get out...

The last two mornings, I've considered becoming a hermit writer in Mongolia.

I have been doing little articles for Demand Studios and Textbroker. I consider this great non-fiction training, since I hvae little experience with such specific guidelines and tight deadlines. The copy editors at Demand Studios are particularly helpful. However, the subject matter isn't what I'm passionate about (see Comparing Smoothie Machines or Princess Costumes from my Published Work page). It's difficult to fufil their requirements. I dislike finding reference websites and resources "extra-reading" sites. It's hard to write in the tightest way, using non-passive sentenses and imperative verbs. Two mornings of work seems like a lot to be paid $7.50.     

I'm finding this attitude isn't just in my writing either. I want to be a good mama. But after making my eleven month-old try steamed broccoli, remembering to give him cold medicine, knowing when he needs a bath and getting his diaper rash cleared up, I don't really feel like sitting down and reading with him. It all seems like a lot of work. Can't I just put him in his playpen, buy him a Winnie the Pooh film or be content taking care of his basic needs? 

Last night, we watched an excellent film, "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story. " It reminded me why I'm passionate about writing for kids,  about reading to my little boy. It reminded me why I'm willing to do the dirty work of boring articles and poopy diapers. Because reading is vital for children to learn, grow and discover. Because being an involved encouraging figure in a child's life, whether as a parent or an author, is a phenomenal honor. Because what you put in, is what you get out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget