Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gearing up for contests

I'm not sure whether it's because I'm a second-born (with a big sister who could do everything well but math), or whether I'm just naturally competitive. Whatever the reason, I do like a good contest. Especially when it's a writing contest. I have never actually won, but I appreciate the push of the deadline and the need to follow specific guidelines.

Several ccontests have recently been brought to my attention. NPR hosted a "Three-Minute Fiction" short-story contest, where I was to include the words plant, trick, button and fly in any way as nouns, verbs or adjectives. I made the April 11th deadline, but after reading some of their favorites, I doubt that my style is edgy enough.

My grandmother asked me to ghostwrite a story for her for a Guideposts contest. It is to be about an experience that changed your life, showing how faith made a difference. I am going to start work on it today for the June 20th deadline.

Also, I will be entering Focus on the Family's Mother's Day 2010 Contest, due May 7. It's to be a short essay about dinnertime memories or how my mom made dinner special. I'm already pretty good friends with FOF, so I'm curious to see what will happen.

When any chance of me winning the NPR contest is past, I'll post the story. I'd love to hear your feedback on it!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read what's been flowing from those talented springs!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget